Mahendragarh

Mahendragarh

Mahendragarh

The district was formed in 1948 by grouping different tracts of erstwhile princely states; Narnaul andMahendragarh tehsils from Patiala State, Dadri

(Charkhi Dadri) from Jind State and a part of Bawal nizamat from Nabha State. The headquarters of the district are at Narnaul.

Origin of the name of the district: The Mahendragarh town was previously known as Kanaud, which took its name from the Kanaudia group of Brahmans. Malik Mahdud Khan, a servant of Babur, founded it. There is a fort at Mahendragarh, which was built by Maratha Ruler, Tantia Tope during the 17th century. This fort was named as Mahendragarh in 1861 by Narinder Singh, the ruler of the erstwhile princely state of Patiala, in honor of his son, Mohinder Singh and consequently the town came to be known as Mahendergarh. The name of Narnaul Nizamat was changed to “Mohindergarh Nizamat”.

General Information

Location: It is bounded on the north by Bhiwani and Rohtak districts, on the east by Rewari district and Alwar district of Rajasthan, on the south by Alwar, Jaipur and Sikar districts of Rajasthan, and on the west by Sikar and Jhunjhunu districts of Rajasthan. It has 2 tehsils of Narnaul and MahenderGarh.

Total area: 1,683 sq km

Population: 6,81,869

This entry was posted in Mahendragarh and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply